Friday, June 22, 2012

Post 2: Electric Boogaloo

Alright, so yesterday I learned about Taken 2.

Yep.

That's a thing.

Really. 

For some reason, hearing it existed and watching the trailer filled me with this strange and powerful rage.  All I could think was 'Why?'  Why is that a thing?  Don't get me wrong, Taken was ridiculously fun, and I thoroughly, oh-so-thoroughly  enjoyed watching Liam Neeson kill people in inventive ways for two hours.  That was neat.  But when did it become necessary for any movie that makes $60 million* to automatically have a sequel?

I know.  There's nothing new in complaining about the number of sequels, prequels, remakes and reboots clogging the film industry these days.  But Taken 2 was the straw that broke the camel's back.  I snapped.  I just couldn't take it anymore.  My soul collapsed, and I cried for the lack of creativity and originality in today's pop culture.  I despaired for our generation and for the future, stuck in the mire of endless, brainless media loops.

Luckily, good choices were made last night, and I ended up watching The Big Lebowski.  As I watched the Dude and his pratfalls, the ins and outs and what-have-yous, everything changed.  The world had color.  I remembered that as long as this world has the Coen brothers (and people of their ilk, like Rian Johnson and Christopher Nolan and Dan Harmon and Neil Gaiman and Scott Snyder and..... now I'm getting carried away), we'll be OK.  I watched the Dude with pure delight, marveling at how such a story came into existence.  Feeling victorious because it was made.  Because it was awesome.  Because it abides.

* Ok, I know Taken made more than that.  But Ghost Rider 2? Piranha 3DD?  Wrath of the Titans?  Who asked for these?

No comments: