Friday, December 22, 2017

2016: On the Page

(Let's not talk about it)

Wow! 2016. What a year, right?

(Not talking about it)

Definitely a huge shift in my life. I spent over half the year pregnant, and the rest of it desperately adjusting to being a mother. But now, on to 2017!

(NotTalkingAboutIt)

With the weariness from pregnancy and full-time teaching, and then the weariness from learning the ropes of child-rearing and full time teaching, my books total severely dropped this year. I'm going to tell myself that this is understandable, and pat myself on the back for reading at all. You go, Cat! Way to be!

(OK, so yes, this is what...a year late? And far past when anyone would care? But I can't post my 2017 numbers in good faith without having this up, plus the comparison aspect is deliciously satisfying, so there. Now, NOTTALKINGABOUTIT)

Have some stats.



Total Books Read: 53. 15 less than last year. What a blow. But at least I still averaged one a week.

Favorite Comics: I'm locked in to my preferred series by now, and I pretty much stuck to those this year.

-Black Science vol. 2. Heart-wrenching, but so well told.
-Saga vol. 5 and 6. I don't know how Saga is still this consistently amazing, but it is! Thank the heavens.
-American Vampires vol. 8. Granted, the internal world is starting to sprawl. But this series is still my everything.
-Lumberjanes vol. 1. A new series! And delightful to boot. I really hope I can get some of my students tuned in to this series, since it's the best of girl power. I can't decide which is my aesthetic/fashion soulmate, Jo or Mal. I'll have to keep investigating.

Super Blah Comic: Sacred Heart. Did absolutely nothing for me, and was actively irksome.

Books I Should Not Have Read At That Time: Poor Your Soul. It is an extremely well written book, but reading a memoir about a woman miscarrying her first child while I was three months pregnant? Maybe not my best idea.

Books from Best Of Lists That, to Quote Shania, "Didn't Impress-a Me Much":
This year all those best of/recommended lists let me down. Not catastrophically, mind you, just with a thud. I wish the books had been explosive failures, but they were just wet mud plopped on the sidewalk of my mind. That sound you just heard in your head? That was the feel of most of these books.

-Sunday's on the Phone to Monday. 
-Those Girls. 
-Gold Fame Citrus. 
-Without You, There is No Us. 
-Crazy Rich Asians. 
-The Hate List. 
-What Alice Forgot.

I remember nothing about Sunday's on the Phone to Mondayseriously, the plot had zero staying powerbut I did write this review right after reading it, and it almost makes me wish I remembered more. "Beautiful language that amounts to nothing. Drivel written wonderfully. Like a Seinfeld episode, but with poetry trying desperately to be prose." Wow! What a statement!

New Favorite Book: Salem's Lot. I won't try to explain the connection I feel to vampires here, but I will say that I often seek out vampire literature, and everything has paled in comparison to Dracula. Everything until now. I'm ashamed it took me so long to read Stephen King in general, but particularly that I missed this book. It terrified me. I actually couldn't sleep for multiple nights while reading, but I couldn't stop. I loved the way King encapsulates slow dread and control. The section where Mike Ryerson digs Danny Glick's grave is a master class in suspense, and I'll be pondering it for a while.

Best Reading Experience: Holding my daughter and reading Maniac Magee out loud. My favorite children's book, one of my all-time favorite books, and the first book she heard.

THE COMPLETE LIST:
  • Rainbow Valley by L. M. Montgomery
  • Those Girls by Lauren Saft
  • For the Record by Charlotte Huang
  • Poor Your Soul by Mira Ptacin
  • Black Science vol. 2: Welcome, Nowhere by Rick Remender, Matteo Scalera and Dean White
  • Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
  • All Better Now by Emily Wing Smith
  • Saga vol. 5 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
  • Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick
  • Just Kids by Patti Smith
  • Babysitters Club: Stacey McGill...Matchmaker? by Ann M. Martin
  • Hunger Makes Me A Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein
  • Sunday's on the Phone to Monday by Christine Reilly
  • Gold Fame Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins
  • American Vampire, vol. 8 by Scott Snyder, Rafael Albuquerque, et al
  • 11/22/1963 by Stephen King
  • Lumberjanes vol 1: Beware the Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson
  • The Loser List: Revenge of the Loser by H. N. Kowitt
  • A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute
  • Baltimore: the Plague Ships by Mike Mignola
  • Along For the Ride by Sarah Dessen
  • Davita's Harp by Chaim Potok
  • Anne of Windy Poplars by L. M. Montgomery
  • Salem's Lot by Stephen King
  • Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery
  • Zen and the Art of Faking It by Jordan Sonnenblick
  • Exile by Kevin Emerson
  • The Cardturner by Louis Sachar
  • The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
  • Gossip Girl by Cecily van Ziegesar
  • Read Write Teach by Linda Rief
  • Rocking Fatherhood by Chris Kornelis
  • A Prince in Peril by Robin Russell
  • A Jail for Justice by Robin Russell
  • A Karst in Kweilin by Robin Russell
  • A Tiara for the Taking by Robin Russell
  • Saga vol. 6 by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples
  • Without You, There is No Us by Suki Kim
  • Once Upon a Cow by Dr. Camilo Cruz
  • Dietland by Sarai Walker
  • Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
  • The Hate List by Jennifer Brown
  • Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
  • The Feathered Bone by Julie Cantrell
  • Sacred Heart by Liz Suburbia
  • Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe
  • Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
  • I Will Always Write Back by Caitlin Alifirenka and Martin Ganda with Liz Welch
  • I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan
  • Payback Time by Carl Deuker
  • Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
  • What Alice Forgot by Lianne Moriarty
  • I Was Here by Gayle Forman

No comments: