Sunday, December 24, 2017

2016: On the Screen

Remember how last year, I said that movies are a necessary boost for my mental acuity? That might explain why 2016 feels like a sludge of a year for me. At least any creative zing I felt can be attributed to these films. Heaven knows I wasn't getting that inspiration from the written word this year.

Without further ado, the stats!


Total Movies Watched: 79. Hahahahahahahaha *sob* My, what a precipitous drop-off.

Movies I Watched to Mourn David Bowie:
-Basquiat
-Labyrinth

I was going to watch The Prestige and The Hunger, but I didn't get to them. They'll have to wait for another tribute.

Movies I Watched By Myself in Theaters:
-Brooklyn. By a strange twist of chance, Taylor and I ended up on opposite sides of the country on our last childless anniversary. Taylor celebrated by eating corned beef at a Boston St. Patrick's Day party. I celebrated by dragging my 4-month pregnant self to a showing of this beautiful, swoonworthy romantic movie. There was popcorn, perhaps a few tears shed, and definite awe at this lovely film.
-Zootopia. How much solo theater crying is too much? Asking for a friend.
-The Hunt for the Wilderpeople. My last treat to myself, right before giving birth. A wise decision on my part.
-Don't Think Twice. Honestly, it was uncomfortable viewing. Improv folks seem exhausting, and that overshadowed the story and any empathy for me.

Visually Stunning Films:
-Macbeth (2015)
-The Revenant
-Brooklyn
-John Wick
-Swiss Army Man
-The World's End
-Jane Eyre (2015)*

*It's decidedI will watch anything Cary Fukunaga directs.

Movies I Watched for Halloween:
None. BOO.

Classic Movies I'd Never Seen:
-Dazed and Confused
-Dr. No
-Amadeus
-Casablanca. I know. You don't need to tell me. I know!
-The Apartment. Can you believe this was released in 1960? I can't. It's so subversive, and dark, and heartbreaking. What an amazing movie.
-Full Metal Jacket. And now I understand Vincent D'Onofrio.
-Space Jam. Again, I know. I did so much gymnastics to the soundtrack as a kid, it feels like I saw the movie. But I didn't.
-Blazing Saddles. I'll love Gene Wilder forever.
-Sunset Boulevard. Worth every accolade you can throw at it.
-The American President. Maybe not a classic, but here because it should be. This might be my favorite Sorkin property. Definitely in the top three.
-The Warriors

Favorite Movies Released in 2016:
-Deadpool
-Brooklyn
-Popstar. I'm ride or die for The Lonely Island. They are, and always will be, Ka-Blamo.
-The Hunt for the Wilderpeople
-Swiss Army Man
-La La Land

Clint Eastwood Movies:
-For a Few Dollars More
-Letters From Iwo Jima (counting it)

THE COMPLETE LIST:
  • Rumble in the Bronx
  • The Hateful Eight
  • Basquiat
  • Galaxy Quest
  • Labyrinth
  • The Martian
  • Deadpool
  • O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • The Revenant
  • No Country For Old Men
  • Dark Star: HR Giger's World
  • Aliens
  • About a Boy
  • School of Rock
  • Dazed and Confused
  • Brooklyn
  • Sliding Doors
  • Macbeth (2015)
  • Dr. No
  • Hudsucker Proxy
  • Bowfinger
  • Don Verdean
  • Amadeus
  • Casablanca
  • Letters From Iwo Jima
  • The Apartment
  • Ali Wong: Baby Cobra
  • Central Intelligence
  • Ip Man 3
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • Zootopia
  • Popstar
  • The Fugitive
  • Superbad
  • Deadpool
  • Cruel Intentions
  • Lethal Weapon
  • The World's End
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Swiss Army Man
  • Ghostbusters (2016)
  • Space Jam
  • Star Trek Beyond
  • Tig
  • Love and Mercy
  • The City of Lost Children
  • The Hunt for the Wilderpeople
  • The Burbs
  • Joe vs. the Volcano
  • Clear and Present Danger
  • John Wick
  • The Producers
  • Don't Think Twice
  • Strictly Ballroom
  • For A Few Dollars More
  • Punk's Dead: SLC Punk 2
  • Sunset Boulevard
  • Robin Hood (1973)
  • 42
  • Godfather part II
  • American Outlaws
  • Frank
  • Blazing Saddles
  • The American President
  • The Warriors
  • Hot Rod
  • Big Eyes
  • Hacksaw Ridge
  • The Crucible
  • Love, Actually
  • Creed
  • MST3K Santa Claus
  • Sausage Party
  • The Finest Hours
  • Rogue One
  • La La Land
  • While You Were Sleeping
  • In-lawfully Yours
  • Jane Eyre (2011)



No comments: