Saturday, March 31, 2018

2017: On the Screen

Total Movies Watched: 68. Yep. Lowest amount in years. Well. Then.

Honestly, I'm OK with the reduced number this year. Because I saw less, I truly valued and was discerning with the movies I did watch. I think I viewed some beautiful films this year.

With the exception of The Accountant. That movie was AWFUL. But everything else was at least on a scale from exceptional to slightly disappointing.




Favorite Movies Released in 2017:
-Logan. This might be the very top of my list. A beautiful, sad, thoughtful movie.
-LEGO Batman
-Baby Driver. I didn't think I'd be able to even watch Ansel Elgort, let alone be charmed by him. Yet there I was! I credit the musicality of the film with 87% of that.
-The Big Sick
-Wonder Woman. I cried.
-Lady Bird
-The Shape of Water. Brought up all those floaty, lovely feelings. Slightly reminiscent of the sweet nostalgia of Amelie, but with that monster movie twist. Loved it.

Movies I Watched By Myself in Theaters: 
-Lion
-The Big Sick
-Blade Runner 2049
-Lady Bird
-The Shape of Water

Animated Movies that are Gorgeous and Beautiful and Everyone Should See:
-Kubo and the Two Strings. Stunning modeling. I want to frame so many stills.
-Moana. I cried. Yep.
-Song of the Sea

Movies I Watched for Halloween:
-The Cell. I'd never seen it before, and it was visually remarkable and incredibly disturbing. Also, aren't we glad that Hollywood didn't stay on the Vince Vaughn as a marketable serious star?
-Okja. Further proof that I always enjoy Paul Dano.
-Dracula (1931). I'd never seen it before, and it's gorgeous.
-The Witches of Eastwick. Meh. Although, Cher is magnetic. I think I may be a fan of her as a movie star, based on the two movies I've seen.

Movies Sticking With Me:
-Hidden Figures. Strong women doing amazing things? Sign me up.
-10 Cloverfield Lane. I don't know why Abrams and Co. are tenuously connecting these movies together with the events of Cloverfield, and I don't know if I support it. But I do believe that this is one of the more intense kidnap thrillers I've seen.
-Get Out. I'm standing behind everything said and written about it. You go, Jordan Peele.
-Captain Fantastic. I didn't love the movie, but it was thought-provoking. Shows how misguided some otherwise admirable qualities can be.
-Split. James McAvoy is a wonder (obligatory remember when I met him mention). I'm also surprisingly OK with the story continuation hinted at towards the end.

Clint Eastwood Movies:
-Play Misty for Me. Sneaking it in right before the end of the year.

THE COMPLETE LIST:
  • Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
  • Labyrinth
  • Hidden Figures
  • Burn After Reading
  • Dope
  • Lion
  • LEGO Batman (x2)
  • Singing in the Rain
  • John Wick: Chapter Two
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane
  • Logan (x3)
  • What We Do in the Shadows
  • Magic Mike
  • Captain Fantastic
  • Deconstructing the Beatles Revolver
  • Up in the Air
  • Kubo and the Two Strings
  • A History of Violence
  • The Aquatic Life of Steve Zissou
  • Alien: Covenant
  • LEGO Batman
  • Midnight in Paris
  • Atlantis: the Lost Empire
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • The Godfather, pt. 1
  • Wonder Woman
  • Moana
  • Baby Driver
  • Moonlight
  • Tropic Thunder
  • The African Queen
  • Bronson
  • Song of the Sea
  • The Big Sick
  • An American Werewolf in London
  • The Beatles Eight Days a Week
  • The Road to El Dorado
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • Dunkirk
  • Tour de Pharmacy
  • Speed
  • The Incredible Jessica James
  • The Nice Guys
  • St. Elmo's Fire
  • Finding Dory
  • The Cell
  • La La Land
  • Trolls
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Okja
  • Dracula (1931)
  • The Witches of Eastwick
  • Get Out
  • Lady Bird
  • Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis
  • Queen of Versailles
  • Split
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Kong: Skull Island
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  • The Accountant
  • A Muppet Christmas Carol
  • Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2
  • Play Misty For Me
  • The Shape of Water
  • The Raid: Redemption

No comments: